News & Announcements

CYBERJAYA, 15 January 2019 – Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) today announced the appointment of Surina Shukri as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) effective 16 January 2019. Surina Shukri succeeds Datuk Yasmin Mahmood, who served MDEC as the CEO from 15 September 2014 to 15 January 2019.

Surina brings more than 19 years of diverse experience in investment banking, which includes positions at J.P Morgan New York and Chase Commercial Bank. It was her passion for blockchain technology that led to the establishment of SheNovation Ventures, a venture studio which invests in the blockchain industry and advocates transformative technology.

Surina is a core team member at Women 4 Blockchain, a group dedicated to building and empowering pioneers in the world of blockchain technology.

Born and raised in Kuala Lumpur, Surina is a strong supporter of equal representation in entrepreneurial leadership positions. She is a leader at Parity Partners, an online database and platform dedicated to help companies recruit diverse talent with a special focus on helping develop women become leaders through targeted curricula and community building projects.

Since its inception in 1996, the MSC initiative continues to establish a strong ICT base to spur the nations’ economy with a total investment of RM26.7 billion as of Q3 2018 from 3,018 active MSC companies. Domestic investments accounted for 43 per cent of the total investment valued at RM11.61 billion, while foreign investments made up the remaining 57 per cent with RM15.1 billion. As at Q3 2018, a total of 178,341 jobs are recorded from these investments. 


For media enquiries, please contact:
Zalinda Zainon
General Manager, Corporate Communications Division
Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)
Tel: 03-8315 3229

Farah Zuber
Edelman Public Relations
Tel: 012-975 0725


Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation or MDEC (formerly known as Multimedia Development Corporation Sdn. Bhd.) is the lead agency in driving the digital economy in Malaysia under the Ministry of Communications and Multimedia Malaysia. Since its inception 22 years ago, MDEC’s mission is to develop the nation’s digital economy. MDEC’s implementation efforts are centred on driving investments, building local tech champions, catalysing digital innovation ecosystems and propagating digital inclusivity.

MDEC is also responsible to ensure that Malaysia plays an integral part in developing and nurturing talent to drive digital innovation around the world, while attracting participation from global ICT companies to invest and develop cutting edge digital and creative solutions in the country.

To know more about MDEC’s efforts and initiatives in driving Digital economy, please visit or follow us on:


Twitter: @mymdec